IGF 2023 Youth Track Network: Nurturing Digital Well-being: Addressing the Impact of the Digital Environment on Youth Mental Health
19 June 2023 | 14:30 - 15:30 EEST | Main auditorium |
Consolidated programme 2023 overview / Youth IGF Track
To join this session, please register for EuroDIG 2023.
Through a dialogue with senior stakeholders, a network of Youth IGF coordinators will explore the significant influence of the digital environment on the mental health of young people and discuss policy measures to mitigate potential negative effects. We will delve into three key policy questions that aim to foster a safer and more supportive online space for youth. The first question focuses on empowering children to navigate digital pressures through the cultivation of digital literacy in educational settings. We will discuss strategies to integrate digital literacy education into school curricula, equipping students with the knowledge and skills necessary to understand and manage the impact of the digital realm on their mental well-being. The second question addresses the issue of online platforms’ ‘’bombing’’/intrusion incidents and their potential detrimental effects on students' mental health. Our session will examine support mechanisms that can be provided to teachers and school management to effectively address and respond to these incidents. We will explore practical approaches and resources that can help mitigate the negative consequences and safeguard students' well-being. Lastly, we will look into the importance of online platforms enhancing privacy settings and user controls. This question seeks to identify ways in which these platforms can empower students, teachers, and parents to manage their online environment in a manner that minimizes distractions and supports a positive learning experience. We will explore potential technological advancements and policy recommendations to create a safe and conducive digital space for educational purposes. By bringing together experts, policymakers, educators, and stakeholders, this session aims to shed light on the impact of the digital environment on youth mental health and provide actionable policy insights. Together, we will work towards formulating comprehensive strategies to nurture digital well-being and create a positive and supportive online landscape for young people.
Interactive 60-min roundtable exchange between youth from around the world and senior experts
- Welcome and introduction
- Setting the scene by expert speaker around the following policy questions:
- How can digital literacy education be integrated into school curricula to empower children in navigating digital pressures and managing the impact of the digital realm on their mental well-being?
- What support mechanisms can be provided to teachers and school administrators to effectively address and respond to digital platforms’ incidents, which can have detrimental effects on students' mental health?
- How can online platforms enhance privacy settings and user controls to enable students, teachers, and parents to manage their online environment in a way that minimizes distractions and fosters a positive learning experience?
- Open discussion
- Closing remarks by the speakers
- Learn more about the IGF 2023 Youth Track
Organised by IGF 2023 Youth Track network
- Mr. Joao Martins, YCIG steering committee member
- Ms. Jutta Croll, child safety expert, Chair of the IGF Dynamic Coalition on child online safety
- Mr Nicolas Fiumarelli, Youth IGF Uruguay
- Phyo Thiri Lwin, Youth IGF Myanmar